Tuesday 30 July 2013

Présentation de Crème Brûlée


Next up is.....not a cake. Rather, it's something that I thought was quite impossible to make at home due to the involvement of a torch. The nearest I've been to one was the Bunsen burner back in the chemistry labs in secondary school and I wasn't too keen on using one at home!

But as with anything else, I succumbed to curiosity and began researching for a Crème Brûlée recipe and most importantly, got the torch as well. It wasn't that difficult to get one but there were actually quite a surprising few varieties to choose from...

Once the recipe was chosen and the hardware in order, it was all about getting it done!

Unfortunately, other than having seen this decadent dessert on TV and being served to others in restaurants, I've never had one myself! So in the end, I didn't exactly have a benchmark to base my recreation of this French wonder.

I turned to the Internet once again to see what others would describe its taste, and I got words like creamy, silky, melt-in-your-mouth...along with specific notes (no surprises since it is a FRENCH creation!) on how exactly crisp the caramel on top should be.

Well, in the end I thought it wasn't the best Creme Brulee made by Man, but I wouldn't say it was too bad either. The custard was firm yet a little wobbly, it was smooth and silky yet rich and creamy, and the sugar shell wasn't unappetisingly burnt or too hard. And I had fun with the torch as well. So what can I say...it was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment