Monday 10 February 2014

Baking for Cupid!

It's that time of year again! Where roses become more expensive than gold overnight, chocolates fly off the shelves...and bakers get down to making tons of heart shaped stuff!

I kinda missed the boat for Valentine's last year as I was in the midst of an internship and didn't have too many ideas anyway! I thought this year would be different as I had the ideas swirling around in my mind and with another year of baking under my belt, I was a little more confident as well.

But little did I know that I'd be working night shifts and that it'd throw a huge spanner in my grand plans...I hate turning down orders from friends, especially my close ones but I've unfortunately had to turn some down as there simply was no way my shift schedule would allow me to get their orders done before V-day!

The good thing about working night shifts is the accompanying sleepless nights on my days off where I'll have already slept the entire day. Baking at 2 in the morning is starting to become something of a norm for me these days!


I saw a photo of the Rose Meringue Cookies sometime back and decided on the spot that these were definitely going to be part of the Valentine's menu this year...they were quite easy to make and had endless creative space as well. Only drawback was the insanely long baking time of almost 2 hours in a slow slow slow oven.


The Pink Velvet Cupcakes weren't really a planned thing..I just felt like I hadn't updated my cupcake menu in quite some time and had a few ideas in mind for a new one. So the Pink Velvet was born at 4 in the morning!



Sugar cookies have always been on my mind for such a long time but after having tons of problems with getting the right consistency for the cookie glazing, I had abandoned the idea of having sugar cookies on my menu. That is, until a quick rifle through my mum's files gleaned a new glazing recipe which finally worked! It dried shiny, hard and in no time at all!


Mum's cute "ice cream" sugar cookies!


Decorating them was kinda fun though I was running low on ideas after some time..

No comments:

Post a Comment