Monday 19 May 2014

That Important Day In May!


The annual Mother's Day celebrations in my house had to be put on hold for awhile due to my shift and stuff and it almost got cancelled but I really wanted to make a cake for her. What's the point of being into baking if you can't make a cake for the important people in your life eh?

With my mum, the flavour for a cake is never a problem as long as it revolves around the prickly, stinky-sweet Durian. You just have to decide how you want to present the durian in the cake! I decided to go for a simple durian mousse cake for the occasion.

With my schedule - and the time the mousse needed to be in the fridge to set - I had to get back home from work in the morning and bake the cake before collapsing onto bed while the cake cooled. I thought I had it all planned out but as usual, crap happens and the sponge cake interior turned out too low for a proper sandwiched cake and I had to make another!

For the first time in a long time, I actually had an idea of how the final cake would look like in my head - decorations and all! Unfortunately, the mousse somehow split and turned out extremely grainy, which gave a dull and rough surface. Fortunately though, it did set in the fridge.

Having attended a lesson in choux pastry some time back, I was extremely eager to try making the choux swans that I made during the lesson as I thought they would make a pretty awesome and unique addition to the mousse cake as decorations. Thankfully they turned out quite alright!


Turned the left over puffs into swan puffs with durian fresh cream and sent them off to the neighbours!

No comments:

Post a Comment