Monday 7 May 2012

Back In The Groove - Pineapple Cheesecake!


It's quite clear to me now that baking makes me happy. Unfortunately, there just isn't time during the semester to go anywhere near the oven with peace of mind. So I decided that now since the semester is done and dusted, I should get back to baking to put the semester's disappointments well and truly behind me.

Moving on...

My mom had her eye on this recipe for a Pineapple Cheesecake for quite sometime and I was just happy to get stuck in! Pineapples are a personal favourite of mine but they don't get turned into cheesecakes or mousses as often as they should due to their pretty high acidity which doesn't let the gelatin set. And no one wants a runny cheesecake or mousse now do they?


This recipe called for canned pineapples which are great but don't really come close to the taste of the real McCoy if you ask me. Cream cheese made way for the ridiculously creamy Mascarpone cheese which just makes everything a thousand times more sinful!


The recipe was pretty complicated...alot of mixing Mixture A into Mixture B and cool in ice water baths or heat over simmering water..stuff like that. But then again, I felt that the creamy, heavenly end product was well worth all the extra effort here and there. And I stumbled on an excellently rich and delectable custard recipe along the way so all in all, a good day at the office I must say.



One regret I had was adding the rum flavouring...just 1 tablespoon of that stuff which didn't seem like much at first, but it made the cheese mixture taste a little like cough medication. Argh! But I think adding a tablespoon of rum instead of rum flavouring would have done the trick. After all, pineapples and rum goes pretty well together!

No comments:

Post a Comment