Tuesday 10 September 2013

All Ruffled Up!

I'm not an adventurous person by any means, but when it comes to cakes and bakes, I'm a whole different person. I love taking on new recipes and attempting to jazz things up in tried and tested recipes. Doesn't often lead to success but hey if you never try you never know right?!


So having leftover buttercream in my fridge, I set my mind on attempting something I saw while trawling the net some time back: the Ruffle Cake.

Piping decorations can really help improve the look of any ordinary looking cake and take it to another level visually. If a plain sponge cake is Cinderella then the buttercream is the fairy godmother...or something along those lines!


I got down to making two 7" sponge cakes and it wasn't long before they were sliced, iced and stacked with a crumb coat layer and put back in the fridge while I prepared the buttercream to go on the outsides. I decided to go with a yellow tone to complement the mango flavoured insides of the cake.

Before long, the cream was ready but I was still feeling a little nervous about the doing the lacy frilly design. After another couple of minutes watching YouTube videos on achieving the pattern, I was ready to go. 


The strange thing was that, once I started, I didn't look back and only stopped once the sides were all done...such was the momentum that carried me through the whole way! Thankfully, it came out alright and pretty even in size. The top was a little tricky and I had abit of a problem getting into the rhythm and had to keep stopping along the way as I wasn't sure if I was doing alright. 

Piled up a couple of cubes of fresh mango and the middle and I was done! Woohoo!! 

Probably should have taken more pictures at different angles though...

No comments:

Post a Comment