Saturday 7 September 2013

The Engagement Bouquet!


It's an Indian tradition to bring desserts and "sweets" for engagement ceremonies and the interpretation of "sweets" has inevitably changed with time. Traditional sweetmeats which are now considered much too sweet for the modern palate, have given way increasingly to cakes and cupcakes in particular.

My brother-in-law's brother held his engagement ceremony recently and my Mum and I decided to make a very presentable and unique cupcake bouquet. She had done one many years back so she was comfortable with the idea while I couldn't say I was completely sure!


She took about a week to piece together the basket by gluing individual chocolate coins round and round a cake board. It didn't look anything like a basket initially to me, but by the time she was done, I have to admit, I was extremely amazed!

I decided to go with large red velvet cupcakes as the "flowers" for the bouquet as it was pretty easy to whip up. I cut back a lot on the red food colouring though..I certainly don't think they need to be that bright in colour like the ones sold outside! That's like colouring overdose!


Instead of the rich cream cheese frosting swirls, I chose Swiss meringue buttercream swirls tinted in various shades to sit atop the cupcakes. I was afraid about the temperature that these cupcakes would have to sit in as the ceremony went on and in this tropical heat, I wasn't prepared to risk it with the cream cheese frosting.

In the end, the frosting held up well and everything went without a hitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment