Tuesday 2 August 2011

Death By Chocolate


I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I handed the cake over to my friend...baking for others is pretty stressful! It's not that the difficulty has gone up; just that the stakes have skyrocketed.

If I bake something just for the fun of it like I normally do, then even if something goes horribly wrong, it either ends up in the trash or you can still eat it while consoling yourself. But if someone places an order for a birthday cake then you better hope to the high heavens that you have a good cake for them when they come round to collect it.


Can't just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well...maybe next time I'll have a better one for you!".

Then there's the matter of taste. Your cake can either end up being the toast of the day or absolute drivel. The scary thing is that different people will have different expectations and tastebuds(?) so there's another problem.


My friend wanted as little cream as possible and more chocolate so I went for overkill by totally omitting any cream and overloading it with good ol' chocolate. Felt like I was making a Mud Cake instead of a chocolate cake really!

Thankfully I had my mum's help - I think she was more excited about my first order than I was! - especially with the decorations. It's great to have an extra pair of hands in the process guiding you like a lighthouse all the way from start to finish.

My friend either had extreme faith in me or was totally drunk when asking me to make the cake...I hope its the former rather than the latter...but I owe him so much for giving me the chance!

Woohoo!



Time for some soul soothing before hitting the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment