Saturday 6 August 2011

Hangin' Up Them Oven Mitts!

Sigh.

With the semester just 1 1/12 days away, I think this will probably be the last time I'll set foot anywhere near the oven for the next couple of months. With that in mind, I jumped on the final chance I had to make something. This was of course, done under the pretext of clearing away the leftover flour/sugar/whatnot so that my mum wouldn't start nagging about me singlehandedly causing a rise in the number of diabetics. Heh...


Anyway...I had some chocolate in the fridge from making my friend's cake so I decided to make a Zebra butter cake. The chocolate really made the cake a thousand times richer than normal but also a thousand times more delectable! Ah happy days.


I saw this can of strawberry pie filling when I was trawling the aisles in a supermarket some weeks back and I bought it without having any really concrete plans as to what to make with it. It had been some time since I made a pie so I thought perhaps another was probably due about now.


But I was bored with the usual 'cover the top with another slab of dough' or 'open top' type of pies and I've always wanted to try the lattice pattern that I've seen some use to add a touch of uniqueness to their pies.


Usually the dough would be pretty soft and go all crumbly when I try to pick it up and arrange the strips to create the pattern but this time around it held firm and I was able to arrange the strips without too much of a fuss(though it did break here and there).


But it was all good after taking it out of the oven so I was pretty satisfied. It's a real boost to the spirits when what pops out of the oven matches your mental picture pretty closely!

No comments:

Post a Comment